What's The Difference Between Rats And Mice In Rochester?
Rats and mice are the two most common rodents you'll find in your Rochester home. They have several similarities and many differences, but they can both wreak havoc, spreading diseases and causing damage. In this handy guide, you'll learn about the differences between mice and rats, why they're both dangerous, prevention tips to keep them out of your home, and the best way to get rid of them if you find them in your house. Sneak peek on that last one: You need to call in a professional Rochester rodent control company like RodentX Wildlife Control.
How Mice And Rats Differ In Appearance
Mice and rats are both types of rodents in Rochester. While they do have some similarities, there are also differences, such as:
- Size: Mice measure from around five to eight inches long from their nose to the tip of their tail. Rats range in size from 14 to 18 inches long from nose to tail.
- Shape: Mice are rather round, while rats are long and thin.
- Ears: Mice have large, round ears. Rats' ears are oval and less prominent.
- Tails: Mice have hair on their tails, which are typically about the same length as their head and body combined. Rats' tails are hairless and can be shorter in proportion to their bodies.
If you've seen or heard signs that you may have mice or rats in your home, you need professional rodent control in Rochester from RodentX Wildlife Control. We specialize in removing and excluding all types of rodents from your home.
Both Rats And Mice Are Dangerous To Have Around Your Home
Mice and rats both cause significant property damage and can carry a variety of diseases. As rodents, they have to constantly gnaw to keep their front teeth at a manageable length – their incisors never stop growing. Without chewing on various materials, these incisors can grow several inches per year.
Mice and rats will chew on your furniture, floors, walls, baseboards, door jambs, doors, and cabinets. They may also gnaw on pipes, cables, and electrical wires. When they chew on pipes, they may create leaks in your water or sewage lines, causing water damage inside your walls. Chewing on cables can interfere with your telephone or internet service. Gnawing on electrical wires can lead to a fire hazard.
The diseases mice and rats can carry are just as serious as the property damage they can cause.
- Adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM)
- Rat-bite fever
Mice and rats can also carry fleas and ticks into your home, bringing along another list of diseases. Because of these dangers, you need to know how to get rid of rodents in your house. Call RodentX Wildlife Control today if you have signs of mice or rats in or around your house to schedule a free inspection.
Prevention Tips For Mice And Rats Are Very Similar
If you want to know how to prevent mice and rats from coming into your house, you need to follow the same exclusion measures.
- Sealing your foundation: Mice can sneak into your home through a hole as little as a dime or a crack the width of a pencil. Rats only need slightly larger openings.
- Removing outdoor food sources: Bring your pets' food inside at dusk, clean up dropped fruit and nuts from trees in your yard, and protect your garden with ¼ inch hardware cloth.
- Getting rid of outdoor water sources: Eliminate any water sources outside, including your birdbath, leaky faucets, dips in your yard that may collect water when it rains, pots, and overturned trash can lids.
If none of these exclusion measures work, you need to know how to get rid of rodents in your home. You can do this by calling RodentX Wildlife Control and scheduling your free inspection.
Professional Rodent Control Is The Best Way To Get Rid Of Mice Or Rats
Trying to DIY a solution for effective rodent control is an exercise in futility. For every mouse or rat you see, there may be 12 more you don't. At RodentX Wildlife Control, we specialize in rodent removal. We're experts on getting rid of mice and rats. Call us today to schedule a free inspection and learn more about how we can get and keep rodents out of your Rochester home.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"Professional service from the first call to the finished job and inspections. They were always on time, and respected us and our property as they replaced all insulation in the attic and some in the basement. They filled all the entry points and we have no more unwanted pests."
"They were professional right from the start. They removed contaminated insulation and replaced all the insulation in the attic. They sealed up all entry points, so no more bats/squirrels can get in. I would certainly recommend RodentX!"
"My wife and I were very happy with the service from RodentX Wildlife Control. From the beginning to the end of the project they were prompt, professional, courteous and effective with what they had to do. The Team Leader kept the whole job organized and completed on time. I would highly recommend this company."